The Departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics at the Ohio State University will host an
REU program in Molecular Biology sponsored by The National Science Foundation
during the summer of 2021.
Official Program Dates: May 17 through July 23, 2021
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
NEW UPDATE March 29, 2021
UPDATE FOR COVID-19: Ohio State has had to make the difficult decision not to move forward with allowing summer housing plans for students during Summer 2021 due to the ongoing uncertainties associated with the pandemic. We are very disappointed that we will not be able to host visiting students for the REU program this year.
If you are eligible, we highly encourage re-application for the summer 2022 program, when we hope to be able to fully implement our research programs and activities.
This program provides a cohesive framework for undergraduate research, focusing on the use of model organisms and molecular biology techniques to address fundamental questions in biology, while preparing students for successful graduate study in molecular life sciences.
Students are expected to be on site full time during the program.
- Laboratory safety training and laboratory procedure workshops
- Full-time research activities
- Training in scientific writing and communication
- Training in responsible conduct of research and research ethics
- Social activities
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- Current full-time enrollment in a U.S. college or university
- Completion of basic course work in chemistry, biology and physics
- Persons from groups underrepresented in science are strongly encouraged to apply
- Applications from students with disabilities are encouraged and will be accommodated through Student Life Disabilities Services
- Sophomores and Juniors are especially encouraged to apply, but strong applications from Freshmen will be considered
- Participants must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the program
- Applications from students with limited research opportunities or from 2 year institutions are highly encouraged
- Stipend of $6,000
- Housing in university dormitory
- Meal allowance
Please submit all questions or concerns about the program to email@example.com.